Re: Cygport and auto-manifestize compatibility manifest

On Nov 20 17:26, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> >   - Call the helper application, which basically works like this:
> >
> >       LoadLibrary("dummy.exe");
> >       FindResource(CREATEPROCESS_MANIFEST_RESOURCE_ID, RT_MANIFEST);
> >       LoadResource(...)
> >       LockResource(...)
> >       BeginUpdateResource("tcsh.exe")
> >       UpdateResource(RT_MANIFEST,CREATEPROCESS_MANIFEST_RESOURCE_ID,...)
> >       EndUpdateResource(...)
> >
> >    - The resulting executable actually worked and was treated as a
> >      Windows 8.1 executable.
> >
> >    If this hack is done after stripping, but before adding the
> >    .gnu_debuglink section, it could run automatically and all newly
> >    produced executables would be *finally* compatible with latest
> >    Windows versions.
>
> Is that something that could be run during autorebase or bolted on to
> peflags perhaps?

Well, perhaps.  I'm just not sure it's the right thing to do it at
postinstall time.  I mean, it's not impossible, obviously, but it's
a lot of stuff per executable and running this for a few thousand .exe
files could take some time.

We would also have to make sure that the sections with long section
names are recreated after adding the .rsrc section, which is something
I don't quite see how to accomplish, right now.

Red Hat