fontconfig packaging suggestion

Yaakov,

There is a problem with having fontconfig include the Windows Fonts directory in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf. Namely, the font cache for that directory is very likely to be out of date [*], but most users have no idea that they need to run fc-cache to keep it up to date. This can cause slowdowns or worse for applications that use fontconfig. See, for instance http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-12/threads.html#00246 and several similar reports that came later.

I propose that fontconfig *not* include the Windows Fonts directory, but that a new package (perhaps called fontconfig-windows-fonts) be created that takes over this functionality. This could either be a subpackage of fontconfig or an independent package, in which case I would be glad to maintain it.

This package would handle the Windows Fonts directory by creating the appropriate file in /etc/fonts/conf.d, and it would also provide a script that calls fc-cache to update the Windows Fonts cache. The release announcement would warn users that the script should be called whenever the Windows Fonts directory changed. And I would explicitly advise emacs-X11 users *not* to install the package unless they really want to be able to use Windows fonts while running emacs under X.

WDYT?

Ken

[*] This can happen because of a Windows Update, or because software was added or removed, or because the user knowingly installed or removed fonts.