This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: man-db: cache handling
- From: waterlan <waterlan at xs4all dot nl>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 22:36:31 +0200
- Subject: Re: man-db: cache handling
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1406045560 dot 1920 dot 8 dot camel at YAAKOV04> <20140730155225 dot GA25753 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
Corinna Vinschen schreef op 2014-07-30 17:52:
It is summer vacation time...
On Jul 22 11:12, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
There are a few issues with the current man-db setup:
1) the cache is not strictly necessary for operation of man(1);
2) mandb -c is quite slow with a large number of manpages (~20min on
3) generating the cache only during man-db postinstall doesn't help
manpages updated or added between man-db releases.
Therefore, we need to discuss further how to best handle the man-db
cache. In the meantime, to help avoid user complaints, could you ship
new release without the postinstall/preremove?
I agree. The indexing should be removed from the post install.