This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [ITP] libsuexec 1.0
- From: "D. Boland" <daniel at boland dot nl>
- To: Cygwin applications <cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 20:20:16 +0200
- Subject: Re: [ITP] libsuexec 1.0
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <53EF10B3 dot A1BC4FBE at boland dot nl> <53F100E0 dot CA2D4863 at boland dot nl> <871tsdhfmv dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid>
Achim Gratz wrote:
> D. Boland writes:
> > Thanks for all the critiques and suggestions regarding this new library. I have made
> > changes accordingly.
> I still think you should name it differently. Marco has already mixed
> it up with Apache suexecâ?¦
The idea kind of was to mix it up, so people will know what it does. I noticed that
you and other people already declare the user switching technique half dead. It's a
brilliant idea, you know. Because of its simplicity. It's even patented. By
referring to the Apache executable I give the technique the glory and attention it
So most people are thinking 'Capabilities' nowadays... Sigh. This will only steer
admins away from finding out how user switching works and applying it. Instead they
will just run entire server processes as admin-users.