Re: [setup] Makefile.am patches

On Feb 16 11:22, Eric Blake wrote:

> >> If they're correctly formatted to begin with it's no problem at all and
> >> the extraction into an actual ChangeLog file is easily scriptable.
> >
> > I saw some .gitattributes file mentioning exactly this ChangeLog merging
> > in the binutils-gdb repo and copied it over so it's part of our repo as
> > well.
> >
> > I don't know exactly where to go from there.  The comment claims the
> > user has to install the git-merge-changelog package and per the comment
> > "this is the tricky part!".  Why that's the tricky part beats me.  The
> > git-merge-changelog package is part of the Fedora distro.
>
> git-merge-changelog is maintained upstream by the gnulib project, but it
> does indeed deserve to be its own package.  Maybe I should try my hand
> at doing an ITP for that package for cygwin.

Sounds good to me.  However, I don't understand it.  I expected that it
writens the changelog entry automatically to the ChangeLog file, but it
doesn't.  I just tested it in a local branch.  I added this:

> >   [merge "merge-changelog"]
> > 	  name = GNU-style ChangeLog merge driver
> > 	  driver = git-merge-changelog %O %A %B

to my .gitconfig file.  Then I commited something.  The ChangeLog file
didn't change.  Nothing changed, actually.

> > to my .gitconfig and shoot?  So ultimately the user has to make the choice
> > whether generating ChangeLogs automatically or manually, right?
>
> If you automate the extraction of ChangeLog from the git log, you don't
> need git-merge-changelog.

Uh.  But then again, how *do* I automate writing a ChangeLog entry?
Also, the git log messages are crippled, all text is printed in a single
line.

> Conversely, if you still insist on
> maintaining an actual ChangeLog file in git,

Yes.

> you don't need
> gitlog-to-changelog.

I'm rather confused now.  So I don't need git-merge-changelog for
automation and I don't need gitlog-to-changelog if I keep the ChangeLog
logs.  If I don't need any one of them, what *do* I need?

Red Hat