This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [ITP] znc 1.6.0
- From: Alexey Sokolov <alexey+cygwin at asokolov dot org>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 21:46:39 +0100
- Subject: Re: [ITP] znc 1.6.0
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <55AABF89 dot 7030306 at asokolov dot org> <55AADC2C dot 1070802 at asokolov dot org> <55AB5EC2 dot 2060400 at asokolov dot org> <20150719100317 dot GD19825 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <55ABA522 dot 9000008 at asokolov dot org> <87d1zogku1 dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <55ABEC90 dot 3040106 at asokolov dot org> <55ABECDD dot 9040805 at asokolov dot org> <87zj2sezel dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <55AC0089 dot 2090304 at asokolov dot org> <20150720074442 dot GJ3864 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <55AD44E9 dot 8070207 at asokolov dot org>
>>>> You ahould ask Yaakov, but I seem to remember that the preferred way to
>>>> name new libraries is now without the hyphen.
>>> Hm, ok...
>>> Yaakov, what's the plan?
>> Dunno about Yaakov, but what counts in the first place is to keep track
>> of the ABI change and only bump the ABI version attached to the DLL name
>> if a new version of the base package breaks it. The ABI version itself
>> is mostly maintained by the project's build system.
> I agree about not breaking ABI without changing the filename. This
> question was not directly related to ABI, however, but is about hyphen.
> For consistency with existing libraries, hyphen is needed, I think. But
> if the policy for new libraries to not use hyphen, I'm fine with that too.
Well, hyphen doesn't harm much anyway, so I'm releasing 1.6.0 now. If
hyphen will need to be removed, I'll do it for 1.7.0.
Achim and Corinna, thanks for advices!