This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Attn gawk and man-db maintainers: 3am pages shadowing 3p
- From: Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 12:03:47 -0600
- Subject: Attn gawk and man-db maintainers: 3am pages shadowing 3p
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
Several gawk module manual pages (fnmatch, fork, readdir, and time(3am)) currently shadow pages of the same name in section 3p, owned by man-pages-posix. These are currently dumped into the generic man3 directory, which causes them to take precedence over 3p because of this line in /etc/man_db.conf:
SECTION 1 1p 8 2 3 3p 4 5 6 7 9 0p n
This causes âman readdirâ to return the gawk page, not the POSIX page, as the user almost certainly intended.
To fix this, the man_db maintainer should add a 3am after 3p here, and the gawk maintainer should install the pages into the man3am directory.
Alternately, 3p could move in front of 3, since itâs more specific. (You could say that man3p subclasses man3.)