This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Attn gawk and man-db maintainers: 3am pages shadowing 3p
- From: Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 15:13:34 -0500
- Subject: Re: Attn gawk and man-db maintainers: 3am pages shadowing 3p
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <F3523FBF-36D9-4171-B189-092E08D9091B at etr-usa dot com> <20151023093829 dot GA24268 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <1445627888 dot 16064 dot 112 dot camel at cygwin dot com> <87bnbpnyov dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid>
On Fri, 2015-10-23 at 21:59 +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Yaakov Selkowitz writes:
> > The bottom line is that when there
> > are pages with the same name, you just need to be specific if you want
> > to get the right thing. Therefore, I see nothing to fix in either
> > package.
> > man readdir
> Man: find all matching manual pages (set MAN_POSIXLY_CORRECT to avoid this)
> * readdir (3)
> readdir (3am)
> readdir (2)
> readdir (3p)
> Man: What manual page do you want?
> The bottom line is that it is much nicer to tell the user that he may
> have wanted to be more specific.
This is not stock behaviour, nor does Fedora carry such a patch. As
this is a user-visible change to a core POSIX-mandated utility, I do not
believe such a patch should be included without broader support thereto.