Re: ITA: GNU miscfiles

On Jul 13, 2016, at 6:58 AM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:

>> On Jul 12 11:06, Warren Young wrote:
>>> CATEGORY=Misc
>
> This is not a legal category.

Sorry, I used it because setup.exe shows that as a category here.  But on looking at the category’s contents, everything looks like packages I downloaded long ago, which have since been removed.

I also used it because nothing else looked suitable.  The next closest ones I see (Database and System) are quite a stretch.

Honestly, Base seems to fit better, but then of course we have to decide if this is really something that needs to be in Base.

>>> The last line in my src_install() override seems heavy-handed.
>>
>> You only explain what you expect, but left out the interesting point
>> what actually happens.
>
> He's trying to move GNU-manifesto from one directory under ${D} to another.

Yes.  The normal “make install” rules put GNU-manifesto in the same directory as all the other files, when it should be off in the doc dir.  Apparently cygport’s rules for finding such doc files (e.g. README, COPYING, etc.) doesn’t include this name.

> He should just use 'mv'.

It’s not that simple.  This doesn’t work:

     mv ${D}/usr/share/misc/GNU-manifesto ${D}/usr/share/doc/${PN}

because /usr/share/doc doesn’t exist in the inst dir, so you get an error from mv.  Fixing that involves replacing two short lines of code with two longer lines, plus I’m reinventing part of the dodoc wheel.

I think I’ll just stick with dodoc + rm.

> 'dodoc' copies, it doesn't move.

Well, maybe it *should* move if the source file is also under the inst directory.  What would be the point of shipping two copies of the same file in a package?