Re: Up for adoption: ctags and expat

On Aug 12 15:41, Frank Fesevur wrote:
> > On Aug 12 11:01, Frank Fesevur wrote:
> >> Universal ctags is the continuation of exuberant ctags. We have tried
> >> to convince Darren Hiebert (the original author of exuberant) to team
> >> up so we could keep the name. But that didn't work out, so we had to
> >> fork and came up with the name universal.
> >
> > Pity.
>
> Absolutely.
>
> >> I would say, make the switch to universal. I am willing to maintain
> >> that package. Question is how to update a package without official
> >> releases. And it hasn't been included in any major distro AFAIK.
> >
> > You could start with a test build and set the version numbers in the
> > setup.hint file explicitely.  If it works out fine, you only have to
> > keep up with the prev/curr markers as long as "prev" is the exuberant
> > package.  Question is, *are* there any version numbers yet?  If not,
> > you could use git commit IDs for the time being.
>
> There is no version number yet. The expectation is it will become 6.0
> so something like 5.9-date-shorthash could a temporary version number
> for a test release. The compile date and hash are shown when "ctags
> --version" is invoked.
>
> I just tried and the basic compilation of the current master branch works.

Cool!  If you want to take over ctags and test universal ctags for
Cygwin, feel free if Warren agrees.  I'll change over maintainership
then.

Warren, does that sound good to you?

Doug, I hope you don't feel overlooked.  Expat is still yours if
Warren has no problems with that.

> BTW. Did you know that a coworker of you is the lead developer of
> universal ctags? https://github.com/masatake

Huh, no, I didn't.  I doubt he wants to become Cygwin package
maintainer, though :)

Thanks,

Red Hat