This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: units issues
- From: Doug Henderson <djndnbvg at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 17:55:05 -0600
- Subject: Re: units issues
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <c2742327-a4d3-6e3c-88ad-5cf95af89b8a@SystematicSw.ab.ca> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <e65a0c0b-737e-2d10-b5c9-ef1ee5d6f99d@SystematicSw.ab.ca> <7f2814c4-518a-c097-de05-f4c694dbf362@SystematicSw.ab.ca> <email@example.com> <b2d200f9-2401-50a2-ecc3-567fcad95923@SystematicSw.ab.ca> <f16d69d5-9b9b-0089-b73a-2b0abdc0ce3d@SystematicSw.ab.ca> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <977d9380-31dc-78de-a260-16689664129d@SystematicSw.ab.ca> <5d9a21b5-2c14-c1e8-2c33-6038aef22ace@SystematicSw.ab.ca> <8737bvjxdp.fsf@Rainer.invalid> <2a783f3e-7c6a-20ab-2130-0d8b42c73111@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
On 23 May 2017 at 15:49, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Updating the currencies only when setup is run seems to me to be
> insufficient if users want to use current currency conversions.
Currencies needs to be split to a different package from non-currency
units. Non-currency units is very static, whereas most currencies
changes daily. In the absence of updates, non-currency units are still
useful; but currencies are incorrect in most cases, and increasingly
so as time pass.
It is difficult to predict user requirements based on current package
dependencies as non-currency units and currencies are likely used by
almost disjoint sets of packages. Users of non-currency units should
not be burdened by the complexities of currencies. But if they do need
currencies, they should be up to date.
A possible solution is to check the currency of the currency data on
library initialization or each use by comparing the current date with
the data's date of update. When the data is stale, automatically
update it if possible, or notify the user of the problem.
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com