This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: units issues
- From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo dot de>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 20:13:17 +0200
- Subject: Re: units issues
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <c2742327-a4d3-6e3c-88ad-5cf95af89b8a@SystematicSw.ab.ca> <email@example.com> <e65a0c0b-737e-2d10-b5c9-ef1ee5d6f99d@SystematicSw.ab.ca> <7f2814c4-518a-c097-de05-f4c694dbf362@SystematicSw.ab.ca> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <b2d200f9-2401-50a2-ecc3-567fcad95923@SystematicSw.ab.ca> <f16d69d5-9b9b-0089-b73a-2b0abdc0ce3d@SystematicSw.ab.ca> <email@example.com> <977d9380-31dc-78de-a260-16689664129d@SystematicSw.ab.ca> <5d9a21b5-2c14-c1e8-2c33-6038aef22ace@SystematicSw.ab.ca> <8737bvjxdp.fsf@Rainer.invalid> <2a783f3e-7c6a-20ab-2130-0d8b42c73111@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
Brian Inglis writes:
> Updating the currencies only when setup is run seems to me to be
> insufficient if users want to use current currency conversions.
Well yes. But that means that each user should be able to update, not
just the administrator.
> Would the best approach be to punt on running the update script at all,
> install a null /usr/share/units/currency.units file, announce and
> document that if currency conversions are desirable, the user should
> arrange to run the update script, either from the command line, profile,
> cron job, or Task Scheduler?
In that case the file should not be packaged at all and it should live
in /usr/var somewplace, I think. But if you think a bit further you'll
see that this wouldn't be sufficient when the user cannot write there.
> If we kept the postinstall script, we could change it to run only if the
> currency.units file is non-null and drop the time check:
> [ -s /usr/share/units/currency.units ] && /usr/bin/units_cur
> or keep the time check, using find -mtime +0, or date and stat.
Again, if you package that updater, it'd make sense to create a
sub-package just for that and provide any customization as to which
update style is preferred (the things you mentioned are all sensible in
some situation, just not together). The longer I think about it the
less convincing the idea that a postinstalll script should do the actual
updating, although it might be one of the options you offer.
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
Factory and User Sound Singles for Waldorf Blofeld: