Re: [ITP] moreutils 0.61

On 16/11/17 15:08, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
On Wednesday 15 November 2017 at 08:52 pm +0000, Tony Kelman wrote:
-   parallel: run multiple jobs at once
I'd be hesitatnt to package that since it directly clashes with GNU
parallel (not available on Cygwin yet).
Hmm.  I wasn't aware of GNU parallel, and I'm not sure how that sort of
problem is generally handled.  Possibly that could be broken out into a
separate package to make it easier for folk to install one or the other?
I considered and decided against breaking the entire lot into separate
packages, but this is perhaps a good argument for at least separating
that.
This has been a long source of tension between moreutils' author and the
debian packager (probably fedora and other distros too). I don't know off
the top of my head what solution those distros have come up with for the
name conflict but they may be doing something worth investigating and
imitating.

I have made frequent use of mispipe and ts, and would probably use other
pieces of moreutils if I remembered them better, so I'd use and appreciate
a cygwin package of them - assuming a solution is found to the potential
name conflict.
It looks like both OS X's Homebrew and Debian's Apt deal with this by
just having the packages conflict.

Several other distros do likewise: Fedora / CentOS, openSUSE, Slackware, Ubuntu.
See https://pkgs.org/download//usr/bin/parallel

Dave.