Re: mksetupini: Presence of both 'requires:' and 'depends:' in a PVR.hint file

On 24/06/2018 19:28, Ken Brown wrote:
I'd like to add support to cygport for dependencies with version relations.  In the course of working on this, I was led to question the behavior of mksetupini when a PVR.hint file contains both a 'requires:' and a 'depends:' field [*].

Currently, the 'requires:' field gets propagated to the 'requires:' field of setup.ini, and the 'depends:' field gets propagated to the (version-specific) 'depends2:' field of setup.ini.  When setup parses

https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-apps/calm.git;a=commitdiff;h=d9c7afb936325431c13557f5845518dae7519a4c;hp=11c23cbac2c196aecfa9c737464ea327d8970711

setup.ini, the 'depends2:' field takes precedence over the (non-version-specific) 'requires:' field.

The net effect, then, is that the 'requires:' field of PVR.hint is ignored.  Wouldn't it make more sense for mksetupini to fold the

Almost.  It's not being ignored by setup versions <2.884.

I'd like to do something to stop those versions from being used in a moderately graceful way, but that hasn't happened yet :S

'requires:' field into the 'depends2:' field of setup.ini? Alternatively, maybe we shouldn't allow PVR.hint to contain both 'requires:' and 'depends:'

Yeah, this isn't very useful, and should probably be disallowed.

Certainly, I think it would be fine for cygport to just generate depends: and let mksetupini worry (or not) about older setup versions.

[*] I can't think of a good reason to create such a .hint file, but it appears to be allowed in https://cygwin.com/packaging-hint-files.html#pvr.hint.