Re: RFC: setup package in Base

On 05/07/2018 19:34, Ken Brown wrote:
The instruction that setup currently emits telling you to update setup won't make a lot of sense if setup is then going to update itself

I'm attaching a patch to setup that adds a new option, --no-version-warning, to suppress that warning.  (The patch also slightly rewords the warning.)  Two further patches, to setup.cygport and cygsetup.in, make the setup shortcuts and the cygsetup script use that option.

Thanks for the patch.

The version is checked (again), at ini.cc:404

I've never understood why we have this twice.

(I think the idea might be that first we are checking the setup version as a proxy for the setup.ini format version, to warn if there might be problems parsing it. The second time we are checking the setup version to see if an upgrade of setup is possible)

Surely the advice should be to update the 'setup' package, rather than to use it?