setup and 'provides:'

I've been experimenting with setup's support for the 'provides:' tag, and it's
not behaving the way I expect [*].  I'm not sure if something in setup's
interface with libsolv needs to be tweaked or if I'm just misunderstanding how
this should work.  Here's what I tried:

I created a test repo with packages A, B, and C.  I made A require foo (not a
package), and I made B and C provide foo.  The attached script does all this
[**].  I then ran setup and selected A for installation.

The result was that libsolv simply chose B for installation, and setup showed
this in the "Confirm" dialog.  What I expected was that libsolv would report a
problem ("A requires foo but no selected or installed packages provide it"),
with two possible solutions ("Install B or C").  Is that expectation unreasonable?

I plan to look into the libsolv sources to see if I can fix this, but I'm hoping
that someone already knows the answer.

Ken

[*] I actually have a use in mind for 'provides:' in the emacs packaging, so I'd
like to get this working.

[**] This requires using mksetupini from the calm git repo.  The released
version of calm doesn't support 'provides:'.