Re: [RFC] apache-cygwin licensing conflicts

Just some quick notes, not my final opinion on this:

> At least adding the patch to the source distribution would not violate
> any of both -- cygwin nor apache -- licensing agreements since the
> cygwin license only applies for binaries, is that right?

If you wrote the patch, you can do what you wish with it.  The Cygwin
license doesn't apply to non-cygwin sources.

> Unfortunatly any binary distrbution would ether violate the cygwin or
> apache license, since both _would_ apply to the binary.

Not quite.  When you have two licenses, you must distribute the binary
under terms that meet both licenses.  The GNU GPL is usually
acceptable distribution terms for other licenses as well.  Just
because the Apache license *allows* other distribution options doesn't
mean it *requires* them.