Re: Maintainers wanted

Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> writes:
> I sent a plea to the cygwin mailing list asking for volunteers to
> maintain packages but didn't get much response.  So, I'm trying
> the same thing here with high hopes that I'll get a better response.

Enumerating the list of packages is definitely a better approach, and
provides a concrete target when you're thinking about volunteering.

Put me down for gcc and binutils. If others don't come forward, I'll
probably pick up a few more (since I build most of these myself anyway,
it's not that much of a bother).

I'd add mingw as a separate package as we had talked about, and you can
put me down for that of course.

New GNU packages that should probably be there -- groff.

How about adding a secondary level -- contrib packages such as Perl
(Charles Wilson is essentailly maintaining Perl for Cygwin, so that's
a good start). I'll probably take on a few -- GNU Octave, GMP, CLN
and possibly even Pine. However, this should be separate from the
main distribution to avoid (1) delays, and (2) reduce download size.

> Btw, the next version of Cygwin will be 1.1.0.  DJ and I have decided to
> adopt the linux method for numbering releases.

Yes, please. I'm tired of using beta software ;-)

Regards,
Mumit