binmode idea

Is there anywhere in an executable header where we could commandeer a 32
bit word for cygwin's use?  I was thinking that we could write a utility
that could set bits in this word which would indicate whether the
default mode was "binmode" for file opens and maybe even other "CYGWIN"
defaults.

This is not a replacement for DJ's capability idea but it would allow us
to create executables that could be copied from system to system with
no extra setup.

Mumit, do you know if there is something in an executable that could be
used like this?

Alternatively, we could add a linker section for this, but that would
require relinking an exeutable to gain the benefit.

--
cgf@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/