File permision errors on win98 with net release candidate

All,
    I've installed the net release candidate in my Win98 box into /bin
and /usr/bin off mounted from c:.

I installed the base requirements for development (gcc, make, sed,
binutils, etc) bash, fileutils etc.

I wanted to compile a simple package such as autoconf.  This is what I
got after I typed

~/gnu/autoconf-2.13/: echo $MAKE_MODE
unix
~/gnu/autoconf-2.13/: configure --prefix=/usr
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for gm4... no
checking for gnum4... no
checking for m4... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for perl... no
configure: warning: autoscan will not be built since perl is not found
checking for a BSD compatible install... /BIN/install -c
.//configure: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission
denied
updating cache ./config.cache
.//configure: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission
denied
creating ./config.status
.//configure: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission
denied
.//configure: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission
denied
.//configure: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission
denied
.//configure: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission
denied
.//configure: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission
denied
.//configure: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission
denied
.//configure: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission
denied
~/gnu/autoconf-2.13/:

I have gcc as follows:
~/gnu/autoconf-2.13/: gcc -v
Reading specs from /USR/BIN/../lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)
~/gnu/autoconf-2.13/:

I tried both the newest and oldest available snapshots dlls as of
3-15-2000 with the same problem.  Everything worked before I converted
over to the new distribution.  I also tried other packages with the same
results.

Any suggestions??

John