RE: Mo Dejong's install problems

> > Nope. Windows is really hosed in that respect. I have to wonder why
> > a .bat file is even getting used at all. Why not create a .bashrc
> > file in the root of the install path and then put the setting of
> > the PATH in there? I tried this on my box at home and it seemed
> > to work like a charm. My cygwin.bat file looked like this:
> >
> > echo off
> > cd C:/Cygwin/usr/bin
> > bash
> >
> > I then put the variable stuff in C:/Cygwin/.bashrc and it
> > seemed to work.
>
> <snip>
>
> I am not a bash expert.  I agree this would be better than having settings
> in the batch file itself.  I know local settings go in $HOME/.bashrc and
> when bash is called with --login global settings are read from /etc/profile,
> but where do the global settings go when bash is called without --login?

Well, I found that C:/Cygwin/.bashrc was working for me, but this
was only by trial and error (I need to apply for a patent on that).
Could someone who knows more about cygwin internals comment on why
cygwin can not use something like a .bashrc file for global settings
instead of a .bat file? Is there some reason the PATH would need to
be set while still in windows? Does cygwin fail to correctly
"export" the PATH env var or something?

These may sound like stupid questions, but I think this is in fact
the most important issue cygwin will face in the next release.
Previous version of cygwin were just too hard to install. Users
need to be able to click a button and have the basics work
"out of the box".

Mo Dejong
Red Hat Inc.