Re: "make" seems to be broken on Win95.

Mo DeJong <mdejong@cygnus.com> writes:
> Hi all.
>
> I just tired to build the installer from the CVS when
> I ran into a problem with make. Cygwin's version of
> make pukes out if the case of a file differs from
> what is expected in a build rule. Here is a quick
> example.
>
> BASH.EXE-2.03$ ls
> MER.C     Makefile  error.c
>
> BASH.EXE-2.03$ cat Makefile
> SHELL=/bin/sh
>
> %.o: %.c
>         @echo converting $? to $@
>
> all: error.o mer.o

DJ already talked about this, so I'll just point out two quick items:

- Make already has a (compile-time) provision for using case insensitive
  filenames, but it breaks implicit rules in a horrible way. Is MER.C a
  C++ file or is it a C file? Does the FOO.F file need to pre-processed
  or is it really just `foo.f'? Please remember that most of the tools
  are just repackaged Unix tools, and lots of Unix'ism is buried quite
  deep (eg., gcc's use of the filename extensions).

- Issues like this belong in the general list since this is more of an
  "user tool" issue rather than the underlying API issue.

The Cygwin mailing list has seen this discussion quite a few times before
and should have it archived. It should be pretty easy to provide a command
line or an env variable to choose this behaviour at runtime.

Regards,
Mumit