Re: Time for a new DLL release

At 05:40 PM 4/28/00, Chris Faylor wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 02:31:20PM -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
> >If we could use RPMs to do the install, a GUI should be easy because it
> >would just exec rpm.  The only catch is how the system "knowns" what
> >rpms need to be updated by new versions.  We would need some automated
> >way to figure this stuff out, it is not acceptable for people to "just
> >know" which RPMS needed to be downloaded.  At any rate, I am willing to
> >help out on the GUI installer side.
>
>Experience has shown me to run screaming in the other direction whenever
>I hear someone say that "The GUI should just be easy."
>
>cgf

I don't pretend to be an RPM expert but it seems to me that both the issue
of updating and the GUI issue should be addressed already.  From what I've
seen, RPM knows when a package or one of it dependencies is out of date.
Unless I'm wrong, this should take care of the lion's share (if not all) of
the concern about what needs updating.  As for the GUI, there has been one
(and now there's at least 2 with the advent of GNOME) that we could key off
of.  There may be issues with what the underlying GUI engine is (GTK, X,
whatever) and that may make it difficult or otherwise undesirable to use
but at the very least, it should be possible to at least "follow the pattern"
to create a new GUI that suits any Cygwin specific need.

Anyway, just a thought...

                                        (508) 560-1285 - cell phone