Re: Eliminating monolithic winsup.h

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 01:03:47AM -0400, Chris Faylor wrote:
>I've been slowly moving all of the cygwin header files out of winsup.h.
>The goal is to improve compile times and to allow better dependency
>checking.
>
>I was inspired by DJ's recent windows header file changes.
>
>One thing that I'm not 100% sure about is relying on header file
>ordering.  Currently, I've tried to keep everything flat.  That means
>that .h files do not include other .h files even if they depend on
>them.
>
>I'm noticing that some header files like sigproc.h and shared.h are
>still too monolithic for their own good and probably need to be broken
>down more.  That will be a later step.

I forgot to add that I've also changed the cygwin Makefile.in to always
generate dependencies for .cc files using the -MD option to gcc.  This
means that there will be a bunch of .d files in addition to .o files in
your build directory.

I'm not 100% certain that this is the best way to do this but it was
quick and easy and it seems to work without noticeably slowing down the
build.  Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to do this?

I'd love to only generate the .d files when a .c or .cc changes but that's
not really easy to do.