Re: link to mirrors.html from snapshots page?

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 03:59:04PM +0000, David Starks-Browning wrote:
>(I believe this is appropriate for cygwin-developers because it
>relates to how snapshots are presented.)
>
>Chris,
>
>The "Cygwin Nightly Snapshots" page at
><http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/snapshots/> provides ftp download
>links to sourceware.cygnus.com, which of course is almost always too
>busy.
>
>Would it make sense to add a remark about getting these from a mirror
>site, with a link to mirrors.html?
>
>Something like this (before the tables):
>
>	The ftp links provided below refer to the main Cygwin site,
>	which is almost always too busy to permit downloads.  In that
>	case, you should find these in the <code>snapshots</code>
>	directory at a <a href="../mirrors.html">Cygwin mirror</a>
>	near you.
>
>Or am I the only one who does *not* have a shortcut to mirrors.html on
>my browser toolbar?  Or who hates fighting with my browser about how
>to type a URL directly?
>
>(It's not good enough to just check your favourite mirror all the
>time, because you never know what they've picked it up.  You have to
>start at the snapshots web page to see what should be available, then
>go to mirrors.html and start hunting.)

I don't know.  The mirror sites are almost always going to be out of
date, aren't they?  This may be one of those times where it makes sense
to keep trying when you're trying to get a snapshot.

We could also make the snapshots available via http rather than ftp.
There are no limits for that.