-finline-functions

new thread time I think.

I just built cygwin with -Winline as part of looking at this. There are
a number of warnings, that I haven't looked into - and won't for now -
but it is educational.

Jonathon: When working on a -O3 cygwin, I suggest you turn on some more
warning flags than cygwin builds with by default.

AFAIK some of the things that gcc does when optimising are more likely
to go wrong if a warning would have been produced.

>From a performance viewpoint, it's helpful to know when things are not
being optimised as we've hinted.

For example,
this:
  inline const PSID operator= (const PSID nsid)
    { return assign (nsid); }

isn't inlined which might be a surprise. I haven't checked yet but I
believe it's the nested assign() call that prevents this inlining.

Rob