Re: True case-sensitive filenames

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 10:45:49AM -0500, Gerald S. Williams wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I was following this discussion to see if eventually there would be new
>>ground covered but so far it seems to be treading on old familiar
>>territory.  If you have to really stand on your head to do simple
>>things like renaming a file it really makes me think that this is not
>>going to be a robust solution.
>
>I agree with the spirit.  I'm not sure it will necessarily make
>_rename() any less robust, though.  I expect it would allow some of the
>current special handling to be skipped when hard links are available.
>Currently, the word "hack" appears four times in that function.  :-)

The word "hack" shows up in reference to shortcuts and Windows 95,
AFAICT.  I don't see how that has any bearing on this discussion.

We already create true hard links in the link() function so, again, we
aren't talking about anything new here.

But please don't let this stop anyone from providing a reference
implementation.  It will be interesting to see what you come up with,
if for no other reason than it will apparently mean someone besides
one of the usual handful of people will be working on cygwin code.