Re: 1.3.20

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 02:33:20PM +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>Chris Faylor wrote:
>> Besides Pierre's outstanding ntsec problems, are there other issues that
>> would hold up a release?
>
>I just heard you're about to release this and was pointed this way. Can I
>ask you to hold off for a few hours at least?
>
>I've been investigating a problem with building GDB under cygwin (pretty
>much any version - 5.2, 5.3, 5.3.1). It segfaults on startup.

>My current theory is that vasprintf for newlib is broken, and needs to
>have the _file field of the FILE * initialised to some value.

Hmm.  Jason Tishler already tracked down a problem with vasprintf,
AFAIK.  It should be in cygwin snapshots.

Can I suggest, discussing this in the newlib mailing list, if you think
it is a newlib problem?

>However I need to confirm this theory, make a patch, test the patch and
>submit it!

Wow!

>It would be a shame to release a cygwin with a known serious (given the
>effect on GDB) bug.

It's a shame that you were discussing this on the ecos list for days
without notifying anyone in cygwin land.

>BTW: I think there need to be some decent instructions on building the DLL
>from source. I had various build failures with the 1.3.19-1 sources, like
>net.cc not having a declaration of gethostname(), and when doing a make
>install, cygrun.exe failing to link. I didn't bother fixing that.

Give me a friggin' break.  "/path/to/source/configure; make".  That's how
it works.  If it doesn't build for some reason, that's a bug.  Given
that I'm producing snapshots from the source base on a regular basis,
however, it's a strange bug.

>I also had to symlink winsup/w32api to the separate w32api package sources.

Ah, so you are using an older version of gcc.

>Oh, and configuring with --prefix <blah> doesn't work, although
>--prefix=<blah> does :-).

What in the world, are you talking about?  Are you completely unfamiliar
with autoconf?  Do you think that cygwin has some special version of
configure?

>'Twould be good if this stuff was documented just in a README.build or
>something.

Not gonna happen.  As is so often the case in cygwin land, you've fallen
into the trap of thinking "it must be hard, why don't they help me" rather
than "it works this way on unix, something must be broken <in my installation>".