Re: New release time?

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 11:27:57AM -0400, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > It matters mostly for the uid/gid problem.  A uid of 65536 is returned
> > as uid 0 by getuid().  ls and id will print wrong uids and gids for
> > ids >64K.  sshd will refuse logins.  That sort of stuff comes to mind.
> > I'm just trying to overcome this sort of problem as soon as possible.
> >

> Corinna, isn't it the case that uid >= 64k do NOT work correctly currently
> (e.g. when starting bash, /etc/profile  yields "id: cannot find name for user ID
> 0",
>  telnet doesn't work, etc...)
>
> So, assuming people don't use uids >= 64k today,  the mere fact of switching
> to 32 bit uids won't cause any problem.
> It's only when people start using uids >= 64k that issues will crop up
> with old applications, but that's not different from today.

Yes, sure, I know that.  I'm just trying to get rid of these problems
ASAP.  I see a lot of confusion already when application A reports uid
12 while application B reports uid 65548.

It's ok, I don't say a word about that anymore.  I was just trying to
avoid problems.  No, nobody has to create a new package and yes, all
applications will still run as before.  No need to hurry.  Everything's
fine.

Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin at cygwin dot com
Red Hat, Inc.