Re: Added some interesting functionality to my cygwin sandbox

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 05:01:01PM +0100, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
>On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >Uh, sure.  Hmm, in that case, do you have any choice?  If the mount
>> >flag is set, access the directory, otherwise the drive.  I don't see
>> >how you could do it different.
>>
>> The only other thing I could do is announce that [a-z]: are "special"
>> and not allow creation of those kind of directories.  Probably not
>> a good idea.
>
>Maybe this is to be expected, but as soon as a Cygwin user see's this feature,
>uses it wrong, throws up on the list, everyone else catches on...it's be the
>next where is `su'!? :-)
>
>BTW, is this using URL encoding or character shifting? I'm just thinking of
>those poor setup.exe users who were frightened by the URL-encoded directories in
>their cache. I'm thinking Mutt and Maildir here...

It's the same mechanism that Robert uses.  Very simple.  However I don't
see why anyone would be frightened by %3a's in their filenames since
they wouldn't see them unless they were running an MS-DOS application
which inspected the directory.  Unfortunately, this won't help the setup
cache people since I can't allow the %2f value in an encoded filename.  So,
they'll still be confounded by the file names.