Re: Cygdaemon - planning

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:36:49PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 10:28:35PM +0100, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
>>If it's cool with you, you do the configury hackages.  :-) I'll just
>>submit patches against it as an when needed.
>
>Ok.  I figured that would be your answer.  I've already taken a first
>stab at it.  It isn't working yet, though.

I've got cygserver building but there are the expected problems with the
fact that some files serve a dual purpose in the DLL and in the
executable, with conditional compilation affecting the client/server
object file personality.

For now, I've added a USE_CYGSERVER conditional which is turned off by
default.  I've also added a --enable-server option to both the top level
and the cygwin directory.  From the top level this controls whether
stuff in the cygserver directory will be built or not.  From the cygwin
directory it controls whether cygserver support will be built into the
DLL.  This option is off by default.

My changes to cygwin were not pretty.  I will probably clean them up
later.  I do like being able to build a DLL which does not rely on the
server though, so that part will stay.

I was wondering if it would make sense for the DLL to autoimport
whatever it needs from cygserver.exe rather than build functionality
into cygwin1.dll?  I think that I would have to release a new version of
binutils which allows this, since autoimporting from a DLL wasn't
allowed in binutils into lately, but it seems like a fairly nice way of
localizing all of the cygserver functionality in cygserver itself.  If
cygserver wasn't somewhere in the path, cygwin1.dll wouldn't use it.
Otherwise, it would, when the CYGWIN option was set.

I haven't 'cvs remove'd any of the cygserver files yet but I will do
that in the next couple of days.  I'm sure I will find that cygserver
fails to build at that point...