Re: Symlinks under /proc

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 03:48:32PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:30:25PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>>I would not like to change that yet.  So far, the DLL is still
>>>basically self-sufficient.  If you require on-disk devices, you can't
>>>use the DLL anymore without having a minimal installation process.  I
>>>can see the point where I'm getting convinced that exactly that is a
>>>good idea, but right now...
>>
>>Actually, couldn't we just keep /dev/console, /dev/tty* and /dev/null
>>handled internally?  Everything else seems rather non-critical.
>
>You don't even have to do that.  AFAICT, there is no reason for the DLL
>to have to parse "/dev/tty*" or "/dev/null" when it could just be
>relying on using major and minor device numbers.
>
>I just quickly hacked cygwin to stop parsing /dev entirely and it seems
>to work ok, for the most part.  The one puzzler is that while it deals
>ok with /dev/tty, it does not handle /dev/null correctly, even after a
>/dev/null has been created.

With the latest checkins, it seems to be possible to remove the /dev
parsing entirely and rely on an on-disk populated /dev.

Igor, could you repost your script for populating /dev?

I don't remember how intelligent it was but I suspect that it doesn't
actually query the system to figure out what devices are available,
right?