Cygwin web pages and HTML-Tidy

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong list to discuss this, but I didn't want to air
this dirty laundry on the main list.  If there is a different forum that's
more appropriate for this, please let me know.

Someone (Lapo?) ran setup.html through HTML-Tidy.  Well, first off, that
changed the file mode to XHTML (which is a good thing, IMO), but also
inlined the content of the <!--#include virtual="cygwin-header.html"-->
(which is a bad thing).  Unfortunately, leaving the #include in makes for
ill-formed XML, since the closing tag of </head> and the opening tag of
went into the header, technically, was the icon link.

I also noticed that other HTML files were invalid, since they would close
the </head> tag before the #include, so </head> would be closed twice.

Here's my proposal for cleaning it up:

1) Split out the <link rel="icon"...> from cygwin-header.html and put it
in cygwin-icon.html (which will be #include'd separately).

2) Add a CSS stylesheet to cygwin-header.html.  Move all the body
attributes (text and link colors) into the CSS stylesheet.  Remove the
</head> closing tag and the <body> opening tag from cygwin-header.html.
Change the individual documents to close </head> and open <body>, keeping
the #include within the <head/> element.

cygwin-header.html and require that individual documents define a <div>
with a particular id.  That way, we can add stylesheet information to
cygwin-header.html to control all of the documents.

4) remove the </td></table> sequence of tags from cygwin-footer.html
(leaving it empty).  I'd rather not get rid of it altogether, since we may
conceivably want a footer in the Cygwin webpages at some point.

The above set of changes is pretty invasive, so I wanted to run this by
the developers before going on with them.  Also, I'll post a patch on
cygwin-patches for your review before actually checking stuff in.

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"