Re: API compatibility documentation change

According to Corinna Vinschen on 6/5/2007 4:15 AM:

Sorry for the long delay (and yay to have my cable back up)...

> The new layout only mentions the variables and functions in relation to
> the standards they conform to, and for every standard the APIs are
> listed in alphabetical order.  Every section is related to another
> standard.

Looks nice!

> As soon as SUSv4 is out (whenever this will happen), this document
> should be reworked to list SUSv4 instead of SUSv3.  I'm pretty sure this
> won't be such a lot of work anymore.

Here's the list of functions being added by the next revision of POSIX,
which I'm sure will feed SUSv4...

alphasort - provided
dirfd - provided
dprintf - provided
duplocale - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
faccessat - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
fchmodat - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
fchownat - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
fdopendir - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
fexecve - missing
fmemopen - missing, but I'm working on it in newlib
freelocale - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
fstatat - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
futimens - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
getdelim - provided
getline - provided
isalnum_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
isalpha_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
isblank_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
iscntrl_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
isdigit_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
isgraph_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
islower_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
isprint_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
ispunct_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
isspace_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
isupper_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
iswalnum_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
iswalpha_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
iswblank_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
iswcntrl_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
iswctype_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
iswdigit_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
iswgraph_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
iswlower_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
iswprint_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
iswpunct_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
iswspace_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
iswupper_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
iswxdigit_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
isxdigit_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
linkat - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
mbsnrtowcs - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
mkdirat - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
mkdtemp - provided
mkfifoat - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
mknodat - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
newlocale - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
openat - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
open_memstream - missing, but I'm working on it in newlib
psiginfo - missing
psignal - missing
pthread_mutexattr_getrobust - missing
pthread_mutexattr_setrobust - missing
pthread_mutex_consistent - missing
readlinkat - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
renameat - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
scandir - provided
stpcpy - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
stpncpy - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
strcasecmp_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
strcoll_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
strfmon_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
strncasecmp_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
strndup - provided
strnlen - provided
strsignal - provided
strxfrm_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
symlinkat - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
tolower_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
toupper_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
towctrans_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
towlower - provided
towupper - provided
unlinkat - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
uselocale - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
utimensat - missing, but gnulib has an emulation
wcpcpy - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
wcpncpy - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
wcscasecmp - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
wcscasecmp_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
wcscoll_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
wcsdup - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
wcsncasecmp - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
wcsncasecmp_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
wcsnlen - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
wcsnrtombs - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
wcsxfrm_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
wctrans_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale
wctype_l - missing, but newlib only supports C locale

Also, the following functions are made obsolescent or removed from the
spec.  Where already provided, cygwin should continue to provide them for
backwards compatibility with SUSv3.  Where missing, cygwin need not give
high priority to implementing them, since portable apps should not be
using them.

asctime, asctime_r, ctime, ctime_r, gets, rand_r, tmpnam
_longjmp, _setjmp, _tolower, _toupper, ftw, getitimer, gettimeofday,
isascii, pthread_getconcurrency, pthread_setconcurrency, setitimer,
setpgrp, sighold, sigignore, sigpause, sigrelse, sigset, siginterrupt,
tempnam, toascii, ulimit, utime
bcmp, bcopy, bsd_signal, bzero, ecvt, fcvt, ftime, gcvt, getcontext,
gethostbyaddr, gethostbyname, getwd, h_errno, index, makecontext, mktemp,
pthread_attr_getstackaddr, pthread_attr_setstackaddr, rindex, scalb,
setcontext, swapcontext, ualarm, usleep, vfork, wcswcs

> Please, have a look into the new posix.sgml and give some feedback.  If
> you have patches, even better.  Additional implementation notes would be
> double plus good.

I'll keep that in mind when I post a patch that adds APIs to cygwin.din.

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net