Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 12:08:34PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Apr  4 14:22, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>- All mount points in /etc/fstab are system mount points by default,
>  all other mount points are always user mount points.  The important
>  thing here is, that user mount points can't override system mount
>  points anymore.  If you try that, you get an EPERM error.  The reason
>  for this change is to allow sysadmins to specify paths in /etc/fstab
>  which no user is allowed to screw up.  Paths which the user may
>  umount or re-mount can be marked as user mounts by the admin.

I don't believe that linux acts like this with user mounts.

>- The flags string in the fstab file also understands the flags "system"
>  and "user" now, to allow the sysadmin to specify default paths which a
>  user may change.

When implementing something like this can't we just try to use prior
art?  linux has the concept of a "user" mount but it is not the default
and, I think that the inverse of user would be "nouser", not "system".

It also has the concept of an "owner" mount which allows someone to mount
a device if they own it.  I guess that doesn't have a direct corollary but
it is an interesting idea.

I still wish we could get rid of the two mount points idea and just have
one common area, like linux.

>- The user-specific fstab file is now /etc/fstab.$USER, not /etc/fstab.$SID
>  anymore.  My significant other convinced me that nobody(TM) knows what
>  a SID is.  I pointed out the Cygwin user's guide, but...

I was going to get around to suggesting that too but I still don't think
it's necessary and will just eventually lead to bad habits and
maintenance headaches.