Re: 1.7.1 release date?

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 07:06:08PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Dec  1 13:00, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 06:02:47PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> >- Move 1.7 documentation to it's rightful place.
>> >  Should we keep 1.5 docs available in a 1.5 subdir, for bad times?
>>
>> I guess it depends on whether we are going to make a "Legacy
>> Documentation" link on the web page.  That would be the only way
>> it would make sense, IMO.
>>
>> I would personally rather remove all traces of 1.5 from cygwin.com.
>> Many disagree with me, but I'm a big fan of removing old cruft whenever
>> we can.
>
>It doesn't cost us anything to keep the 1.5 release area up and the
>hardcore 9x users aren't left alone entirely.  We should just make
>clear that it's unsupported and probably we should refuse to take any
>new 1.5 package from today or next week on.

If that's what you want, that's fine but nothing is for free.  This
costs us something in disk space, net traffic, support load, and user
confusion.

At the very least, we're likely to see lots of "I can't provide any
details because I dropped back to version 1.5 when I saw that 1.7 was
giving me 'Command not found' errors".

OTOH, if this was a "normal" project, you'd likely have lots of past
releases available for download, so keeping old stuff around is not
unheard of.