Re: RFC: Cygwin 64 bit?

On 7/8/2011 9:40 AM, Earnie wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> - we have to put the DLLs into a separate directory like /usr/lib64.
>> Separate directory has the problem that it always has to be in
>> $PATH, which is not such a good idea, IMHO.
>>

> I like this one too, if cygwin64 would add /usr/lib64 to the PATH before
> CreateProcess then it wouldn't be as bad an idea since the user wouldn't
> need to add it to PATH.

If you mean that 64bit exe's go into the regular /bin directory, but the
64bit dlls go into bin64/, then that's bad. (Actually, even if you mean
all 64bit exe's and dll's go into bin64/, the same problem exists).

That problem is, a lot of things assume that DLLs are in "../bin/"
relative to the $libdir -- not least of which is libtool, when it
populates .la files.  There is support for multiple levels of '..',
added to help with gcc runtime dlls, but the final dir is still assumed
to be "bin" not "bin64".  I'm sure there are also applications that make
similar assumptions.

Not insurmountable, but something to put into consideration of costs, as
we make this decision.

--
Chuck