Re: RFC: Cygwin 64 bit?

On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 15:37 -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> This might not be TOO terribly difficult to support in libtool; it has a
> separate flag (-module) that is /supposed/ to be used when linking
> module dlls, but no guarantees that all libtool clients actually DO use
> it for their modules.

If they don't, then we have to fix them anyway, since the DLLs would end
up in the wrong place otherwise.

> Anyway, using -module to manipulate the shared library prefix on
> x86_64-*-cygwin might work -- where the "standard" prefix is cyg64 for
> that platform, cyg for 32bit cygwin, and lib [*] as usual everywhere else.

I still need to think about how this would work with other build
systems.  qmake shouldn't be a big deal, cmake should be possible, as
for the others...

> For extensibility (and in case you need to override, for some reason) it
> might also be time for libtool to implement a companion to
>
>   -shrext SUFFIX    override the standard shared library file extension
>
> such as
>
>   -shrpre PREFIX    override the standard shared library prefix

I don't think this is necessary.

> FYI: libtool currently only "replaces" the lib prefix if the .la
> filename /starts/ with "lib".  That is:
>
> 	lib_LTLIBRARIES = foo.la libbar.la
> 	foo_la_LDFLAGS = -no-undefined -module -avoid-version
> 	libbar_la_LDFLAGS = -no-undefined -module -avoid-version
>
> results in
>
> 	foo.dll
> 	cygbar.dll

Only modules may be prefix-less (automake will complain otherwise), and
as modules would be under /usr/lib64, that's not a problem.

Yaakov