Re: RFC: Cygwin 64 bit?

On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 22:30 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> As far as I can see, most modules don't use a prefix at all.  Neither
> python, nor perl, nor ruby modules have a "lib" or "cyg" prefix.
> Ok, the openssl engines have a prefix, but it's "lib".

Looking at my system, the most common case of prefixed modules is GNOME
and other GLib-based software (e.g. GStreamer, XFCE, etc).  The official
GModule API for computing module names, g_module_build_path(), is meant
to be used for both shlibs and modules, so modules are prefixed to be
compatible with that.

But you are right that many programs use prefix-less modules, including
KDE4 (for the most part; a diminishing number of modules require the
"lib" prefix on all platforms, including Cygwin).

> No, that's not the reason.  THe reason is the old problem that the
> start of a Cygwin application from a native Win32 process fails,
> unless C:\cygwin\lib64 is in %Path%.  The first process of a Cygwin
> process tree is obviously always called from a native process.
> That means, you must either set $PATH in the Win32 environment, or
> your shortcuts must have C:\cygwin\lib64 as start directory, or
> you must start all Cygwin processes from a .BAT file which adds
> C:\cygwin\lib64 to %Path% before starting bash, tcsh or whatever.

Oh right, that would mess up things like startx{,win} and such, wouldn't
it?  (I presume that fixing this for cygrunsrv services wouldn't be a
big deal.)

> Of course, if a relative ..\lib64\cygfoo.dll path in executables works,
> we can get DLLs in /usr/lib64 for free...

It would also mitigate the need for moving deep non-module shlibs into
PATH, if it's actually possible.

Yaakov