Re: RFE: mount support for device UUID's

On Oct 10 12:20, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct 10 17:42, Mark O'Keefe wrote:
> > The Windows UUIDs/GUIDs can change (though that isn't common and I
> > believe does require a specific user action to cause it).
>
> The Linux UUIDs can change as well, see tune2fs(1).
>
> > Also,
> > they aren't consistent with the result of running blkid.  If using
> > UUID in mount you would expect it to match the blkid output.
>
> I wasn't even aware of blkid in the utils-linux package so far.  It's
> quite a bummer that libblkid already uses a mechanism which generates
> other GUIDs than the ones in the native NT namespace.

Just for the records:  The volume serial number of NTFS partitions
returned by (for instance) GetVolumeInformation is equivalent to the
lower 32 bit of the NTFS volume identifier in the partition superblock.
No idea if that may be important or come in handy at one point, though.