Re: Ever asked yourself where the famous B20 got to?

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> I found it, really!
>
> You always wanted to try how it was back in the good old B20 days?
> It's still alive, B20 runs even on Windows XP systems!  Not like this
> crappy modern cygwin versions which are more crashing then running all
> the time you use it.
>
> Go and get the famous B20 now:
> http://www-lufgi3.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/SOFTWARE/PM3/NT386/CygWin/CygWin-b20.exe
> or from here: http://www.1o0.de/wi-links/modula3/Cygwin-b20.exe
>
> It is just 16 MB, but it is an absloute sophisticated POSIX emulation!
>
> It even fits on 9 floppy disks:
> http://www-lufgi3.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/SOFTWARE/PM3/NT386/CygWin/bindisks/
>
> It is still in wide use at universities all over the world, believe me,
> so many professors all over the world cannot be wrong!
>

> They use it to drive their Modula-3 compilers:
> http://www.1o0.de/wi-links/modula3/
> http://www-lufgi3.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/SOFTWARE/PM3/NT386/PM3/bindisks/
>

> German HOWTO install Modula-3 on XP:
> http://www.1o0.de/wi-links/informatik/praxis/programmiersprachen/modula3/installation/windows/windows.html
>
> Translated shortref from this page:
>
> Install Cygwin-b20.exe
>
> - copy cygwin1.dll to C:\WINDOWS\System32
>
> - create C:\BIN
>
> - copy SH.EXE to C:\BIN
>
> - install PM3-BIN.EXE to C:\
>
> - create C:\tmp\
>
> READY
>
> START --> Programs --> Cygnus Solutions --> Cygwin B20
> Move around with the usual unix commands and if you find your .m3 files
> and the m3makefile call m3build to invoke the compiler.
>
> Isn't this great?
> Gerrit

Oh, yeah.  So unlike the cumbersome and unintuitive process of installing
modula-3 via cygwin setup.exe (if it were available, that is). :-)

And the professors are right -- manipulating the innards of their own
systems and copying random DLLs to Windows' system32 directory gives the
students a feeling of empowerment, and that's what education is all about,
isn't it?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw