Re: cygwin and mingw

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:40:07AM +0800, Carlo Florendo wrote:

I'd like to be able to build the cdrtools under mingw. Is it possible for me to just change all references to "gcc" to "gcc -mno-cygwin" and run make (assuming, of course that both the native cygwin and native mingw libraries exist)?

FWIW, I recently tried this with perl (building a native-win32 perl using -mno-cygwin instead of the supported MinGW, Borland C or VC).

The two issues I ran into were:

   The makefile provided only worked with dmake, and I only had a
non-cygwin version of dmake.  dmake calling cygwin's gcc resulted in
different command line quoting/escaping behaviour than when calling
MinGW's gcc.  See thread on the cygwin list: "cygwin programs called
from non-cygwin programs mauling \" in args".

Oh, so it wouldn't be that simple....

   Preprocessor output used posix pathnames; this broke perl code
finding the errno constants to build the Errno module.  I put in a
cygpath hack, but it would be nice if there were a way to get gcc
-mno-cygwin to use windows pathnames.

Whew! So that means downloading a native mingw may still be useful.

Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Carlo

--