Re: how does mailx work

Dave Korn wrote:

----Original Message----

Hello,

I've searched the net for mailing lists regarding mailx but there seems
to be none.   Then why ask about it in cygwin-talk?  Well, since it is
off-topic on the cygwin list and I might as well try my luck here, where
all of you are intelligent.

Here's the question:  How does mailx know which MX to use?  I've got a
linux box with the hostname test.mybox.org.  Now, whenever I invoke
"mail <user>@mybox.org", it delivers the mail to <user>'s mailbox in the
local machine.  How come it thinks that mybox.com is the local machine?
The local machine is test.mybox.org but *not* mybox.org.

Any ideas?

MX records tend to be per-domain rather than per-host anyway. Your local
dns server will presumably be returning a suitable record. Show us the
output from

dig @localhost mybox.org in mx

Btw, my boxes that end with [m y b o x] <dot> [o r g] are machines that are not connected to the net. I set up the domains for testing. After some googling, I realized that here is a real m y b o x.o r g domain. So, to prevent search engines from web-spidering this posting and relating it to the real m y bo x <dot> org, I type the name with spaces. I and the institution I work for are not in anyway related to the owners nor managers of that domain. All the setup was plain coincidence.

I must probably change my test domain names now since I might be infringing copyrights or trademarks.

Here's the result of dig. I did a vim search and relpace on the output so please read M Y B O X as what it should be, w/out the spaces.

dig @192.168.10.10 m y b o X <dot> org in mx
; <<>> DiG 9.3.0 <<>> @192.168.10.10 M Y B O X.org in mx
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 3

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;M Y B O X.org.         IN  MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
M Y B O X.org.      259200  IN  MX  10 mail.M Y B O X.org.
M Y B O X.org.      259200  IN  MX  20 mail2.M Y B O X.org.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
M Y B O X.org.      259200  IN  NS  ns1.M Y B O X.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
mail.M Y B O X.org. 259200  IN  A   192.168.10.6
mail2.M Y B O X.org.    259200  IN  A    192.168.10.7
ns1.M Y B O X.org.  259200  IN  A   192.168.10.10

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.10.10#53(192.168.10.10)
;; WHEN: Fri Apr 29 10:20:20 2005
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 138

HTH.

btw, [m y b o x] <dot> [o r g] is a local machine which is not connected to the net. I set up the domains for testing. After some googling, I realized that here is a real m y b o x.or g domain. However, I and the institution I work for are not in anyway related to the owners nor managers of that domain. All the setup was plain coincidence.

I must probably change my domain names now since I might be infringing copyrights or trademarks.

Thanks!

Gee, you cygwin gurus are my favorite, really :)

Best Regards,

Carlo

-- Carlo Florendo Astra Philippines Inc. www.astra.ph