RE: [spam] Re: Windows rights

----Original Message----

  Yes, you're right of course, it's a synthetic account in the LSA.
However, this does not bear on the main point of the discussion, which is
about whether the FAQ entry is correct to claim that SYSTEM and LocalSystem
are one and the same thing.

> - What are the two SIDs you're talking about?  Did you see an access token
>   from the inside?  There are lots of SIDs in it, the user, the owner, the
>   primary group, the group list and, in a restricted token, the list of
>   restricted SIDs.

  I was referring to the user and the primary group.  I omitted the rest
because they are irrelevant to the discussion, which is about whether the
FAQ entry is correct to claim that SYSTEM and LocalSystem are one and the
same thing.

>>   So LocalSystem is an AD record that contains the details of which SIDs
>
> - LocalSystem does not exist in AD since it's a *local* account, not a
>   domain account.

  Yes, we've been through this.  However, the discussion is not about where
it lives.  The discussion is about whether the FAQ entry is correct to claim
that SYSTEM and LocalSystem are one and the same thing.

>> should be placed in the access token, and SYSTEM is one of those SIDs.
>
> How does that differ from any other user account?

  It doesn't.  I didn't say it was different from any other user account.
The discussion is about whether the FAQ entry is correct to claim that
SYSTEM and LocalSystem are one and the same thing.

> A user has a SID
> (or uid) and when creating a default logon session then the SAM or AD
> or /etc/passwd + /etc/group determine how the access token (user/group
> list) look like.

  Yes, that's correct.  The discussion is about whether the FAQ entry is
correct to claim that SYSTEM and LocalSystem are one and the same thing.  In
other words, it is about whether a particular account (LocalSystem) is one
and the same thing as a particular user-SID (SYSTEM).

> We're still talking artificial here.

  Well, one is a SID, and the other is an account.  Given that they are two
different kinds of object, I think there is nothing artificial about saying
that they are "not identical".  It's a bit like saying "A steering wheel is
identical to a car".  It's not; it's just one small part of it.