Re: Qestion about Bash Fork Resource Temporily Unavailable for NS2.28 and NS2.27

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 08:29:31PM -0700, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:27:15AM -0400, Larry Hall wrote:
>> I said "virus program".  That would be something like
>> Norton AV, McAfee VirusScan, etc.
>
>Hmm, is there any way cygcheck could report on intrusive software like
>virus scanners and firewalls?  Though my knowlege on the subject is
>close to nil I think the latter may be doable with WSCEnumProtocols.

You may be onto something here.

We could even run cygcheck as a background process looking for the
installation of virus scanners and popping up warnings when a virus
scanner was introduced.  If someone was interested, we could maintain
an active database of virus scanners which would be updated over the
internet.

A future project might entail linking cygcheck to email clients, scanning
them for virus scanner attachments and "quarantining" them.  We could
also add a "virus scanner" hook for IE which would detect attempts by
users to download rogue virus scanners to their systems.

If it helps, I could add a cygwin-virus-scanner mailing list devoted to
"first alert" sightings of virus scanners "in the wild".

This could be big.

cgf