Re: why can't I post to .applications?

Carl Karsten wrote:

> when trying to reply to a post: "Re: [ITP] Installation Profiles packages", I get
> "News(NNTP)error occurred:gmane.os.cygwin.applications is unidirectional." and yet
> I have posted "Re: where is setup.exe source?" to gmane.os.cygwin, gotten the
> confirmation email, replied, and it got posted.

Gmane is set up to not allow posting to cygwin-apps, at the request of
the list owner, whereas the main list does apparently allow posting.  I
think this corresponds to the fact that you must be suscribed to post to
-apps but not the main list.  (Is that still true?  I don't know.)

But why are you asking here at not at Gmane?  These are *email lists*,
not newsgroups, not web forums, and to post you send email to
<address>@cygwin.com.  The fact that am unrelated third party happens to
run a email -> newsgroup gateway for these and a bazillion other lists
doesn't mean we have anything to do with its administration.

Brian