Re: FW: Good old nabble

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 03:50:42PM -0700, Rod Morris wrote:
>
> >You're right, we need to resolve this problem. Right now, the
> >message gets posted locally and we forward the email to the list
> >using the Nabble user's registered email address as the sender.
> >If the user's post is rejected or if the user doesn't complete the
> >subscription process or if he gets banned from the list, we would
> >only know because we never get the message back from the list.
>
> I can't quite parse the above but ezmlm does send a bounce message when
> lists@nabble.com tries to send a message to the cygwin-apps mailing
> list.

I think I can parse it.  Look at the underlined text above.  I believe
this means that the bounce goes back to the user, and the Nabble software
never receives it...

> >Currently, we assume that the user screwed up the confirmation step and
> >we send him an email once a day to remind him to complete it and tell
> >him that the message didn't go through. But if that never happens, then
> >we do have a problem.
> >
> >Flag these messages as 'Pending' sounds like a good idea. I can have our
> >UI guy come up with something that makes sense and will make it obvious.
>
> nabble is blocked from sending emal to cygwin-apps.  So no matter what
> process the user goes through on your end, their messages will never
> show up in the cygwin-apps mailing list.

Hmm, does Nabble actually try to subscribe them to the list? :-o

> >Then what? Should we delete them from the archive if they don't go
> >through after some period of time, a weeks perhaps?
>
> You're calling this "an archive" but it is not an archive of cygwin-apps
> if it (even briefly) contains a copy of a message which never was part
> of actual cygwin-apps traffic.
>
> Can you mark sourceware's subscriber-only mailing lists as read-only on
> your end so that attempts to send a message are blocked immediately?
>
> OTOH, you could also notice when sourceware sends you a message
> indicating that your message was denied and remove the message.

Can Nabble be set up so that the bounce message goes to Nabble and not to
the user?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/