Re: FW: Good old nabble

On 4/18/06, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 03:50:42PM -0700, Rod Morris wrote:
> >
> > >You're right, we need to resolve this problem. Right now, the
> > >message gets posted locally and we forward the email to the list
> > >using the Nabble user's registered email address as the sender.
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >If the user's post is rejected or if the user doesn't complete the
> > >subscription process or if he gets banned from the list, we would
> > >only know because we never get the message back from the list.
> >
> > I can't quite parse the above but ezmlm does send a bounce message when
> > lists@nabble.com tries to send a message to the cygwin-apps mailing
> > list.
>
> I think I can parse it.  Look at the underlined text above.  I believe
> this means that the bounce goes back to the user, and the Nabble software
> never receives it...

Correct. I still need to verify that this is what is happening as
ezmlm looks at the envelope sender in some instances and uses it as if
it were the from. There a whole spf issue to deal with as a gateway.

> > >Currently, we assume that the user screwed up the confirmation step and
> > >we send him an email once a day to remind him to complete it and tell
> > >him that the message didn't go through. But if that never happens, then
> > >we do have a problem.
> > >
> > >Flag these messages as 'Pending' sounds like a good idea. I can have our
> > >UI guy come up with something that makes sense and will make it obvious.
> >
> > nabble is blocked from sending emal to cygwin-apps.  So no matter what
> > process the user goes through on your end, their messages will never
> > show up in the cygwin-apps mailing list.
>
> Hmm, does Nabble actually try to subscribe them to the list? :-o

Yes. If a user attempts to post, he gets a warning that he must
subscribe. The user must click to do so and we tell him to check his
email and complete the confirmation or his post will not go through.
After this process, he can post the message. We then send the message
to the list under the user's email. We have no way of knowing whether
he completed the subscription process until after checking new posts
to the list to see if his post comes back from the list. If this
happens, we send an alert to the user once a day to remind him to
correct he problem and tell him that the post is still pending and not
sent. This is where we need to tag the post as pending and remove it
after some X period of time.

> > >Then what? Should we delete them from the archive if they don't go
> > >through after some period of time, a weeks perhaps?
> >
> > You're calling this "an archive" but it is not an archive of cygwin-apps
> > if it (even briefly) contains a copy of a message which never was part
> > of actual cygwin-apps traffic.
> >
> > Can you mark sourceware's subscriber-only mailing lists as read-only on
> > your end so that attempts to send a message are blocked immediately?
> >
> > OTOH, you could also notice when sourceware sends you a message
> > indicating that your message was denied and remove the message.
>
> Can Nabble be set up so that the bounce message goes to Nabble and not to
> the user?

I don't believe it's possible if we force the user to subscribe and
the gateway posts using the user's email as it should. However, we do
know that something was wrong if we don't get the post back from the
list. We don't know what the problem is though usually it's failusre
to complete the confirmation step.

Rod Morris
Nabble.com