Re: cygwin + windows update = lock up (W2K SP4)

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 11:12:02AM +0200, Ludovic Drolez wrote:
>>If either Corinna or I could reproduce the problem it would be fixed by
>>now.
>
>Yes it's very easy to reproduce, you just need cat.exe and a W2K SP4 as
>you can read here:
>
>http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-05/msg00044.html

I knew that I'd regret making that statement.  I guess I have to clarify.

Once I saw that Dave was on the case and could reproduce the problem at
will, I haven't been pursuing every report of this terrifying bug
because we actually do have someone investigating it.  I did try running
process explorer while also running a cygwin process and did not see the
problem.  I've tried other scenarios which have supposedly tickled the
bug, too.  I believe Corinna has, as well.

In other projects (and expecially in projects the size of cygwin) there
are usually a group of people who are perfectly capable of fixing bugs
without involving the principals.  I am working under the assumption
that Dave Korn is one of those people.  I had, in fact, hoped that, just
this once, someone else would track down a thorny issue in cygwin.

IMO, it is insulting to me to suggest that I am cruelly ignoring a
problem and it is insulting to him to suggest that the only person who
can fix the problem is me.

cgf