Imagemagick, GraphicsMagick, X11 DLLs problem

So this is the list where I can talk about what I want and CGF won't accuse me of whining? Cool!

On 17 July Andy Rushton reported a problem with Image Magick (it affects Graphics Magick as well) and asked for advice about where to pursue it:

After a recent update to my Cygwin installation, the convert program
stopped working. It simply exited silently, though I discover with gdb
that it was failing with an unknown exception. It turned out that this
was because of a missing dll, specifically
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygdpstk-1.dll, which also requires
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygdps-1.dll.

A bit more digging and I found that these DLLs used to be part of
package xorg-x11-bin-dlls but has been removed with the latest release -
6.8.99.901-1.

I've fixed the problem for myself by grabbing these DLLs from the
previous version of this package (xorg-x11-bin-dlls-6.8.2.0) and
hand-installing them.

So, as I said, I don't know whether this could be fixed by you or the
x11 maintainers. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the work-around, Andy.

CGF said it was an X problem and should be discussed on the Xfree list.

On 18 July Andy raised it on the Xfree list. There's been no response there.

Now I'm not whining and I'm not asking for anyone to do anything for me (because I know this is a community of volunteers). And anyway, I have applied the workaround reported by Andy, so I'm fine. But you'd think someone somewhere would be a teensy bit concerned that IM and GM don't work on Cygwin without an arcane workaround. (The IM and GM maintainers perhaps?). So if anyone anywhere would like to suggest how I could bring this to the attention of someone who might be willing and able to fix this, I'd be grateful.

-- Mark Hadfield "Kei puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tahi tatou" m.hadfield@niwa.co.nz National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)